Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Ferris Bueller Explains the Government Shutdown


For a laugh check out this website to learn about Ferris Bueller's approach to the government shutdown: http://www.buzzfeed.com/bennyjohnson/ferris-bueller-explains-the-government-shutdown 

Everybody's heard about the government shutdown, it has become a part of everyday conversation. While people sarcastically joke about this shutdown, lots is going on that could be detrimental to our society. This shutdown will result in a loss of $2.1 million dollars, backup of issued VISAS and passports, and so forth. This could also result in the loss of republican seats in the future elections as they have used this stopgap resolution to "wage war" against Obamacare. This potential loss of seats in the house is my biggest fear. This entire shutdown can be summarized by saying that both the Senate and the House of Representatives were working to advance their own political agendas. Because of this government could not agree on bills to fund federal agencies. Basically, the House (republicans) wrote in the defunding of Obamacare into funding and budget proposals, in turn making the Senate (democrats) not pass the bill as they are largely advocators for this healthcare plan. If the House and Senate were to somehow agree, it would still be no use because Obama would veto any plan that defunded Obamacare. Because republicans fear Obamacare, they were tried to use this stopgap to hinder the continuation of Obamacare.  While I agree with republicans fear of Obamacare, I think that the government shutdown should have been avoided at all costs. The fact that our government can find no middle ground is what worries me for our future and makes me wonder how long this could possibly last. 

As stated earlier, I agree with republicans fear of Obamacare because of my dislike for big-government.  I do not think healthcare should be a mandate, and disagree with healthcare in general. I see it as only driving up healthcare costs. Thus, making medical bills only affordable with medicare, etc while it could be cheaper without any form of healthcare systems. When reading articles about big government, I keep in mind this quote by Henry Ford: "Any man who thinks they can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."

5 comments:

  1. Very good analysis Michala, I agree with your opinions on the shutdown especially on Obamacare although, I do not think republicans should merely give in to the demands of what they should and shouldn't fund. I would hope they would stick to their ideals and make the democrats agree on the stipulation that there will be no more Obamacare. I know I wouldn't want my money going towards that ideal. It would be great though if the U.S. didn't end up defaulting on the debt, no matter how interesting that would be in a historical sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your statement that the shutdown should have been avoided at all costs is incredibly accurate. For some reason extremists in the Republican Party do not seem to acknowledge how harmful this incident is to the reputation of both the Republicans and Congress as a whole. If the Republican's goal is to defund Obamacare, then using the stopgap was the wrong approach. The best strategy would have been to advertise as a more moderate party, win over more seats in Congress, and actually be able to have a legitimate voice as opposed to using deadlines to try and call the democrat's bluff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michala,

    I agree that the House Republicans' strategy to stop Obamacare from being implemented was wrong, at least in terms of the shut down. Though it appears that President Obama is the one who truly put his foot down, they should have attempted to find favor with the public by complying with some of his demands, while finding other ways to combat his overall plan.

    Cullen Cosco

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear that I am working even though I am looking at a buzzfeed list of animated GIFs.

    Seriously, though, do you agree with the interpretation offered by the link? It seems like it is primarily blaming Ted Cruz for the standoff. The problem is lack of legitimacy for implicit governing norms it seems to me. it may be true that in the past big policies have never been tied to increases in the debt limit or to funding for the government. But if one does not think those norms themselves matter, then it is hard to go forward. How do we adjudicate this dispute?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that my biggest fear with the shutdown is that Republicans may get blamed for the shutdown, which may cause them to lose seats. and, in my opinion, that would be bad for the country. At first, I thought Ted Cruz's strategy was a good one but sadly I think it may have back fired, and may have caused a further divide within the Republican Party.

    I also liked the quote that you used to end your entry. That quote is so true. I really enjoyed this entry. Well done

    ReplyDelete